Millions of women are affected by unattractive spider veins and varicose veins, but you don’t have to live with them.
What is sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is a popular method of eliminating varicose veins and superficial telangiectasias (“spider veins”). A solution, called a sclerosing agent, is injected into the veins to break down the vein wall.
Does sclerotherapy work for everyone?
The majority of individuals who receive sclerotherapy treatment will be cleared of their varicosities or have visible improvement. However, there is no guarantee that sclerotherapy will be effective in every case. Approximately 10% of patients who undergo sclerotherapy have poor to fair results. (“Poor results” indicating that the veins have not disappeared after six treatments.) In extremely rare cases, the patient’s condition may become worse after sclerotherapy treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
The number of treatments needed to clear or improve varicose veins differs for each person. The number of treatments can range from one to six, with the average number being three or four. Individual veins usually require one to three treatments.
What are the most common side effects?
The most common side effects experienced with sclerotherapy are:
- Itching: You may experience mild itching along the vein route. This normally lasts 1-2 days.
- Transient Hyperpigmentation: Approximately 30% of all patients who undergo sclerotherapy notice a light brown discoloration after treatment. Nearly all patients notice a darkening of the vein immediately after the procedure. In rare instances the darkening may persist for 4 to 12 months.
- Sloughing: Sloughing occurs in less than 3% of patients who have received sclerotherapy. Sloughing consists of a small, slowly healing ulceration at the injections site. A blister may form, open, and become ulcerated. The scar that follows should return to a normal color.
- Allergic Reactions: Very rarely a patient may have an allergic reaction to the sclerosing agent. This risk is greater in patients who have a history of allergic reactions.
- Pain: A few patients may experience moderate to severe pain and some bruising around the injection site. The veins may be tender to touch after the treatment and an uncomfortable sensation may be felt along the vein route. This pain is usually temporary lasting 1 to 7 days.
Pre Sclerotherapy Instructions
- Refrain from using moisturizers / lotions on the day of treatment.
- Some patients prefer to change into “shorts” rather than a gown supplied by our office. You may bring along a pair of “shorts” if that would make you more comfortable.
- Bring your compression stockings with you to each visit.
Post Sclerotherapy Instructions
- Stay active and leisurely walk after treatment.
- If gauze and or tape were used, remove in 4-6 hours and replace with compression stockings or ACE wrap.
- Your leg should not be exposed to prolonged sunlight (No tanning or sunbathing!) for one week. If you will be in the sun, please use sunblock liberally (SPF-30 or greater)!
- Minor discomfort or mild itching is common. An ice pack or Tylenol may help. Avoid anti-inflammatories for one week (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin) as these can blunt the desired response to treatment.
- Sleep with compression stocking (or ACE wraps) on the night of treatment.
- Shower in the morning and an reapply the compression stocking or Ace wrap during daylight hours for the next two days.
- Avoid “intense aerobic” activity of the lower extremity for one week.
How much does Sclerotherapy cost?
Depending of the area treated, at PureMD MedSpa sclerotherapy cost average is $300/treatment. Schedule your Free Consultation at any of the below locations!
PUREMD MEDSPA LOCATIONS
PureMD, Dayton, OH
Phone (appointments): 937-240-3634 | Phone (general inquiries): 937-212-5645
Address: 108 Magnolia Lane, Dayton, OH 45440
PureMD, Liberty Township, OH
Phone (appointments): 513-245-4278 | Phone (general inquiries): 513-777-8282
Address: 7100 Foundry Row, Suite 212, Liberty Township, OH 45069
PureMD, Dayton, OH
Phone (appointments): 937-303-9217 | Phone (general inquiries): 937-424-2227
Address: 1010 Woodman Drive, Dayton, OH 45432